The Huron County Health Unit is recommending you test your home for radon.
Public Health Inspector Chris Boyes says radon is an odourless, tasteless, and colourless gas which can cause lung cancer over time.
The gas is released through the breaking down of uranium in the soil around a home.
In 2012, 11 per cent of homes in Huron County tested above the recommended guidelines for radon -- regardless of the age of the home.
Boyes says 1 in 20 people exposed to radon long-term are more likely to develop lung cancer.
Residents with exposure who also smoke cigarettes have a 1 in 3 chance of lung cancer in their futures.
Boyes tells us radon testing kits can be purchased from major hardware stores, and take three months to sample the gas levels in your home.
A radon specialist can also be called to identify where the gas is coming from.